Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Value of Silence


We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” -Mother Teresa

This past weekend I was able to travel a couple hours away from the city to an Alianza, the Spanish word for farm. Immediately, I noticed the stark contrast between the bustling, boisterous city and the serene, silent farmlands. Don't get me wrong, I'm a city girl at heart. But having a day out in nature was quite relaxing and much needed!

We spent the day riding horses, swimming, exploring, and of course eating delicious carne y cafe. Riding horses among lakes and rolling hills was the highlight of the day for me. Something about riding horses in the silence of nature allowed me to think more clearly. It was one of those peaceful moments that are hard to duplicate in the unsleeping city. I agree with Mother Teresa, often silence is necessary to find God. And this silence does not just come from retreating to a quiet location like a farm, it comes from shutting our mouths and listening for God as well. Something I have never learned well! We can take some good lessons from God's Creation... it is still and quiet. I've never heard a flower protest or a kangaroo complain or a mountain gossip. A lot of good can come from that silence. I'm so thankful that I was able to experience this for one day out on the Alianza.

On Friday, our group will be traveling to Buenos Aires, Argentina for a week! No silence for us in this city of 10 million people! haha. I hope to come back with some great stories and pictures. Until then, hugs friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment